It’s best to have some ideas of what you want your kitchen to look like before you start. Create a ‘moodboard’ for yourself and start by browsing through magazines, brochures and even visit home shows and kitchen showrooms to help you visualise your new kitchen.
The talented team of Kitchen Designers at The Good Guys have provided some handy tips on things to know when it comes to renovating a kitchen and also some advice on selecting the right benchtop.
HANDY TIPS TO KNOW WHEN IT COMES TO RENOVATING A KITCHEN
• Don’t be afraid of divulging your budget. Professional designers can only give the best advice if they have all the information.
• Working with a professional kitchen designer who knows how to get it right first time will definitely save you money in the long run.
• Keep it simple. The more elaborate you make your kitchen, the more expensive it becomes. You can always add extras later.
• Select quality finishes that look great but won’t date quickly.
• Spend as much as you can afford on durable work surfaces.
• Buying appliances through your kitchen design company enables you to take advantage of package deals and ensures delivery of kitchen and appliances together.
• Ensure that there is a warranty on all products in the kitchen – cabinets, benchtops, and accessories. The length and type of warranty may differ depending on the product but all products should have a warranty of some sort.
• Combine the design style of your kitchen with the design style of connecting rooms.
• Ensure you have sufficient lighting in the kitchen, especially in the food preparation area.
• Choose surfaces that are not susceptible to fingerprints and dirty marks.
• Maximise your benchtop space.
• Overfilling walls with cabinets can make a kitchen appear cluttered.
• Kitchen islands require a minimum one metre clearance from all other items.
• Wider and deeper drawers maximise the use of space.
• Finally; designing and purchasing a new kitchen should be an enjoyable and value-adding experience – make sure you work with a designer that shares your enthusiasm.
• Colour is one of the most emotional elements of a room as it can influence your mood and the way you experience a space. It can soothe and comfort or energise and excite.
• Avoid dark colours in small spaces; it will only make them feel smaller
• Light, cool and neutral colours create a sense of space as they make walls appear to recede. If you want to make a large room feel cosy use a dark, rich colour, which makes walls appear to advance and give a more intimate feel.
• As colour fashions change, depending on the look you are trying to achieve, it may be advisable to choose neutral coloured kitchen cabinets and benchtops and use paint and accessories to add colour – as these can be changed more easily later on to match changing trends.
• If you are having a new floor it’s recommended that you lay this before installing the new kitchen. Only do the final sand or polish tiles after installation.
• It is essential to have correct lighting in the kitchen. General ambient light is sufficient for walking around the room, however task lighting to specific areas will need to be considered.
• Lights should be placed over sinks, cook tops and all preparation areas.
• Natural light is important – position wall cabinets away from windows.
I SAVED $10,000
“Instead of ordering a solid slab of natural stone, The AU Stone Company placed 12mm quartz stone overlay over the top of my existing Laminex benches. They did this in one day. No mess, no fuss. Now I have a brand new kitchen for a fraction of the cost. Amazing!”
5 REASONS TO INSTALL STONE BENCHTOPS
1. SIMPLE PROCESS
By using Real Quartz Reconstituded Stone in 12mm form we can install over the top of your existing kitchen benchtops for a superior finish in a quick time.
2. EASY TO CLEAN
No chemicals required to clean. A simple wipe with a damp cloth is all that is needed.
3. ADD VALUE TO YOUR PROPERTY
Stone benchtops are sought after by home-buyers. They are an excellent and functional investment.
4. LONG LASTING
Stone lasts for centuries. It is scratch, stain, chip and heat resistant. You can be confident that in ten or twenty years your stone benchtops will be as beautiful as they are when you first purchase them.
5. MASSIVE RANGE OF STYLES, COLOURS AND FINISHES
From traditional to modern, there is always a benchtop to suit your style.
CALL US ON 1300 781 283